The IELTS and the TOEFL are two of the many English proficiency examinations today. Because of the accuracy of these exams, most English-speaking countries require any of these two as a requirement for visa applications. Score requirements are set; thus, any applicant finds ways in reaching these scores for their applications. An IELTS review center and TOEFL review center is the best option in getting ready for the tests.
Both examinations cover the four different macro-skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing. Among these sections, the reading poses a little threat to candidates who are not fond of reading. For the IELTS, reading passages come from journals, newspaper articles, and magazine articles. On the other hand, TOEFL reading passages are purely academic; they can be from different subjects like literature, social psychology, architecture, or history. Improving one’s reading skill is the common problems of these students. How can one improve reading skills in both IELTS and TOEFL?
These are 10 tips in improving reading in both IELTS and TOEFL as recommended by the top IELTS review center and TOEFL review center in the country.
• Building vocabulary. Candidates for the exam usually consider reading as difficult because of their poor understanding of some words used in passages. By having good vocabulary, it will be easier for any candidates to make connections on meaning of words with the passages content.
• Read materials that are interesting to develop a love for reading. The enjoyment of reading starts when you are actually interested in the reading material. Start reading with materials that are easy and challenge harder ones when you are ready to step a little further.
• Find keywords in the passages. It will be time consuming to read the whole passage and answer the questions. What some people do is to find keywords in the questions and scan through the passages. In this way, the time will be maximized and one can answer more questions with the saved time.
• Write down notes. When you are practicing reading exercises, write down notes on important key words. This is handy when it is time to answer questions about the reading passage.
• Learn skimming and scanning. These are two essential skills that will save the test candidate time from reading long passages. These two need time to develop and hone; thus, it is important to start learning these skills at the earliest phase of the review.
• Be familiar with paraphrasing. Particularly in the TOEFL, the choices in the options are paraphrased from the reading passage. If one is not skillful in identifying paraphrased sentences, then it will be pretty tricky to find the correct answer.
• Practice inference questions. In a TOEFL review center, students are given a lot of inference type of questions since most are having a hard time with this question type.
• Learn some words in British English. In an IELTS review center, test candidates are given lists of words that are commonly used in the IELTS exam. These words are in British English such as a loft for an apartment and trousers for pants.
• Choose the most convenient time to practice reading. Learn to practice at times of the day when you feel most productive.
• A Lot of Practice. Familiarity with the questions and the question types is the best weapon for the TOEFL and IELTS reading sections.
Reading test should not be dreaded; instead, it must be taken as a challenge. These ten tips are proven effective and helpful in perfecting reading skills for both IELTS and TOEFL.