Filipinos are known globally to be one of the best speakers of the English language. Well, it is not surprising as English has been in used in day-to-day conversations and even in the medium of instruction in schools and universities. There should be no problem in speaking but there are Filipinos who are not confident in doing speaking examinations most especially in the TOEFL or the Test of English as a Foreign Language. In fact, the TOEFL speaking is much easier compared to other test wherein one has to complete the test in a one-on-one interview setup. To be able to get a good score in the TOEFL speaking, one must be familiar with the questions and learn the techniques in responding to the tasks.
There are two different tasks in the TOEFL speaking section. The first section is the independent task where one is evaluated with the strong points presented in the response. It asks the candidates about their personal hobbies, choices, interests or events in the first question and it asks the candidate to choose one of two options on the second question. Here are some common questions asked in the TOEFL Independent speaking task.
- What is your favorite city in the world and why? Please include details and examples in your response.
- Describe an activity you would like to do on weekends and explain why. Include details and examples to support your explanation.
- What do you think is the most helpful device ever invented and why do you think so? Include details and examples to support your explanation.
- Some people like listening to music while they study, and other would rather not listen to music while studying. Which do you prefer and why?
- Some people like eating dinner at home on their birthdays, while others like going out to nice restaurants for their birthdays. Which do you prefer and why?
- Some people prefer to work during the day, while others prefer to work at night. Which way do you prefer and why?
- The second task in the speaking test is an integrated task wherein the candidates response will solely base on the information and details presented in the reading passage or a conversation or lecture. Candidates need to be reminded that topics on these tasks are in an academic setting. Here are common questions on this task.
- The woman expresses her opinion of the announcement made by the Construction Office. State her opinion and explain the reasons she gives for holding that opinion.
- The professor discusses problems faced by lawyers and psychologists. Explain how these problems relate to the concept of role conflict.
- The students discuss two possible solutions to the woman’s problem. Describe the problem. Then state which of the two solutions you prefer and explain why.
- Using points and examples from the talk, explain the invention of the opera and valves helped create the modern orchestra.
The key in creating a good response to the TOEFL Speaking task is practicing on the common questions found in the test. The more practice you get with these topics, the better you can come up with ideal and smart responses. Moreover, being in a TOEFL review center can help enhance your speaking skills through their training and mock interviews.
You can download a PDF version of this post at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwIiwLcD96zuX3VabzNFSllwNUk/edit?usp=sharing.